Thursday, January 31, 2013

Today's lunch


A few days ago, I've made Chapati Bread and I've put leftover uncooked dough into the freezer. Normally in Indian Restaurants, Chapati Bread (or flatbread) is normally served with some type of curry or a stew. Since I have leftover uncooked frozen Chapati, I decided to make Curry. This curry isn't authentic because the method of preparing this curry is different from Indian-inspired curry. I will explain why this isn't authentic in a bit.

The recipe that I've used today was from a YouTube channel called ochikeron. The recipe is called Basic Curry Rice, so clicking on the link the recipe is not authentic Indian curry; it is Japanese Curry. I've made my own changes to the recipe by adding in Chicken Drumsticks. I'll explain what I've done to the recipe to make it my own. 

First in the large pot, I've done what ochikeron instructed in the video. At the same time, I've preheated a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat with a tablespoon of oil. Seasoned the drumsticks with salt, pepper, half a tablespoon of curry powder, and a dusting of flour (so the curry powder doesn't burn while it's browning in the hot skillet). When the skillet is hot, crane the heat to medium-high heat and place the drumstick in. Sear the chicken until all sides are browned, then set aside. In the large pot with the potato mixture, add in the water and the drumsticks together. Bring the pot to a boil and simmer on medium-low heat for about 15 minutes. At this point, I followed ochikeron's instructions until the very end. Serve over rice or with a side of Chapati Bread and lunch is served. 

Ochikeron used in her recipe called Vermont House Curry Sauce Mix. I buy my Curry Sauce Mix at my local Asian supermarket. I'm not sure if American supermarkets will have it, I haven't checked. 

Here are some photos:  




After making the curry and serving it on a plate, I cooked the Chapati Bread using a medium nonstick skillet and spraying it with nonstick cooking spray. Place the frozen dough onto the hot skillet and cook on both sides for a minute or until the dough starts to form big bubbles and brown. 

After scarfing the curry down, I've decided on small changes that might boost the flavor a bit more.
First, the chicken didn't absorb the curry powder, so I'm going to omit that next time. Additionally the flour made a mess in the skillet and it didn't help the curry itself, so I'm omitting it as well. At this point, I will brown the chicken until dark brown color so the end product is more appealing to the eye. In a traditional curry, chicken meats are usually "fall off the bone" tender. If you want "fall off the bone" tender, proceed with the same instruction above, but if you want the chicken to look appealing, put the chicken in the curry 8 minutes after the pot boils.

I will try this method next time I make curry. Leave any suggestions in the comment box.

Tomorrow I'm working on a different recipe, so subscribe to me for updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment