Sunday, January 13, 2013

Special Food Blog

I mentioned on my last food blog that I'd make a Cantonese dish, but unfortunately I made that certain dish and forgot to take a picture of it. It was delicious and full of flavors. I will make another batch and remember to take a picture this time. 

So instead of the Cantonese dish that I love so much, this post is pretty special to me because it marks the time well spent with my Grandma. My Grandma is the first person to really get me into the kitchen by having me help her make these dumplings below.


If I remember correctly, when I was a little boy, I helped fill these dumplings up and pressed the dough balls into round circles. Now I'm learning how to make these dumplings from start to end, but I can definitely say that I'm no where near perfection because my Grandma can tell whether the dough is too dry, too wet, or will collapse when cooked. I want to perfect this so bad, just to have a piece of Grandma when I grow old. The picture above has a combination of both my Grandma's work and my work, based on this picture, I can't tell the different which is my Grandma's and my work, but when I was making it with her, I could tell that my dumplings needed work. 

After steaming the dumplings in a basket for 7 minutes, they look like this.


These dumplings where soft while retaining a "bite" or in Italian "al dente". The filling was a mixture of broccoli stalks, Chinese Radish (Chai Tou; they are a flat circular root vegetable that has a green skin and stalks emerging from the top center of the root), Fermented Vegetable, Chinese Sausage, Fresh Pork loin, and Seasonings. 

I thought this post will help me remember my Grandma's cooking and how special it is to receive it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment