Tuesday, March 5, 2013

French Macaron


Today I wanted to conquer the one of the most finicky cookie in the world. The finicky cookies are called The French Macaron! Not the Classic Coconut Macaron, which are very good sweet treats by themselves. The reason why French Macarons are so finicky (or temperamental) is because they require a meringue based, which some people are intimidated. I've worked with Meringues before like the classic meringue cookies or making the based for a classic Swiss Buttercream. I can definitely say that playing with meringues requires a lot of practice, so be patient and give your attention to the details with your egg whites.

So the French Macaron has a meringue based that also requires almond meal (or flour) and powdered sugar to mix into the batter. I have to say mixing the flour with the meringue is extremely difficult because you have to mix the batter perfectly or else the result will be one of three; Cracked on top, Flat (will not rise), or Achieve gorgeous "feet".

If you reading this and you read "feet", then your not the only one. The "feet" of a French Macaron is the ridges on the bottom of the cookies. If you see those ridges, then you have achieve greatness and you've mixed the batter perfectly.

To be honest, I didn't test trial any French Macaron recipe. One day I saw on my YouTube subscription page that one of my favorite chefs has created a FOOLPROOF French Macaron Recipe. I thought I want to join that bandwagon and ride to achieve "feet" on my cookies! The YouTube chef that recently created her own channel, has different recipes for different people like In-a-Budget Meals, Fancy Dinner Party Ideas, Great Gift ideas, etc... Check her out on YouTube. Her channel is called Entertaining with Beth.

Her recipe for FOOLPROOF French Macaron is also in her channel, but the link is below;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ636Y8N6E8

(Also includes the video and the recipe in the description box, either watch what she is doing, or print the recipe. I watched the video 6 times, and read' the recipe 10 times to make sure I was doing everything correctly)

Now the pictures of the lovely French Macarons! Everyone's been waiting for them!




I didn't dye these Macarons any color because I wanted to "master" the technique before I waste any color. Traditionally a French Macaron is a sandwich cookie, so there is a filling. I decided to make a Strawberry Buttercream using Fresh squeezed strawberry and a vanilla buttercream from Crumb Boss! So I hope you like this recipe and try to master this finicky cookie. 

Suggestions: The cookies were a bit too sweet for my liking, so I'd use only 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar only when I use my strawberry buttercream recipe. If its a tart preserve or jelly, I'd use 1 3/4 cups of powdered sugar. I think 2 cups of powdered sugar may be too sweet. 

Please Subscribe or Stay Tune for new recipe that I might try. Please feel free to leave any suggestions so I can try. I'd LOVE know! 


No comments:

Post a Comment