Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Chocolate Layered Marshmallow Cheesecake


Hi lovely people out there,

This time I don't have a long essay regarding my updates on my pastry career. Instead I have a recipe!

It is (like the title says) Chocolate Layered Marshmallow Cheesecake.

This is what it looks like in the pan:


Actually this was a mistake since I wanted to be a Chocolate Swirled Marshmallow Cheesecake, but I'll explain later why this turned out instead of the swirled effect.

First of all, I didn't come up with this base recipe for the Marshmallow Cheesecake recipe, so I did my research and it took me to thesweet-toothlife.com. I have to give credit to Mary Frances, the creator of the blog, for the base recipe of the Marshmallow Cheesecake. Her rendition includes a fabulous swirl of raspberry sauce, which does provide a lovely balance of sweet and tart.

Base Recipe:http://thesweet-toothlife.com/2014/04/raspberry-swirled-marshmallow-cheesecake/

My rendition of this Cheesecake has a thin, crispy Oreo Cookie Crust and an extra special layer of chocolate on top.

The picture above doesn't show a springform pan; I've used an 8-inch cake pan. Nowadays I don't like using a springform pan because I have to wrap the entire pan with foil so no water sips in. It's just easier to spray the cake pan with nonstick cooking spray and line the bottom with a parchment paper circle. The recipe below will have details on how to unmold the cheesecake.

________________________________________________________________________
Chocolate Swirled Toasted Marshmallow Cheesecake
Yield: 12 servings

Equipments: 1 8-inch cake pan, Parchment paper, Nonstick cooking spray
Ingredients:
Crust:
1 cup Oreo Cookies, finely crushed
2 tablespoons butter, melted

Filling:
3 (8 oz) packages cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup packed marshmallows (16 large ones)
2 tablespoons butter
¼ cup milk
70g (about 3 oz) melted semisweet chocolate

Method:
Preheat the oven to 350F.
Mix together the Oreo cookie crumbs and butter until it resembles wet sand. Pour it into an 8-inch cake pan. Press it flat without going up the sides. Bake it in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes. Let cool outside.

For the filling, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth, about two minutes.
Add eggs, and vanilla together one at a time; mixing until smooth. Set aside.
Toast marshmallow under the broiler until almost black. Flip it over with a large offset spatula.
Melt marshmallows, butter, and milk in a small saucepan. Stir constantly for a couple minutes until mixture is completely melted. Strain through a chinois or a fine sieve.
Stir marshmallows into cream cheese mixture.
Pour the cheesecake batter over the cooled crust; leaving behind about a cup of batter.
Add the melted chocolate stirring quickly until smooth.
Pour the chocolate cheesecake batter on top and swirl until your desired marble effect.
Place the cake pan into a larger baking pan to create a water bath by filling the baking pan halfway the side of the cake pan with boiling hot water. A water bath will ensure more even baking (and will prevent the top of the cheesecake from cracking.)
Bake for 50-55 minutes at 350 degrees. Turn off the oven, crack the door slightly open and let cool slowly until room temperature.
Remove from oven and let cool completely.
Refrigerate for at least four hours or overnight before serving. Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks or freeze for up to 2 months.
__________________________________________________________________

To unmold a cheesecake out of a 8-inch cake pan, your going to need:
           a flat plate or plastic wrapped 8-inch cake board,
           serving plate
           a blow torch, gas stove, or a large pot of hot water
If your using the;
           Blow Torch: flip the cake pan onto a plate or a plastic wrapped cake board (if you have one), torch the bottom and sides.
           Gas Stove: Turn the flame to medium-low. Using oven gloves, hover the cake pan bottom and sides over the flame (this may take up to 2 minutes to unmold).
           Hot water: Dip the cake pan until it reaches halfway up the pan. Let it sit for 45 seconds. If it doesn't melt the fat, dip the sides. (This would be my last choice because I don't want water in my cheesecake.)

To tell if the fats have melted, the knife will slide easily between the pan and the cake. Flip the cake over and lift the pan out. Flip the cheesecake back over onto your serving plate. Cut your portions and enjoy!

I have pictures!:













My Opinion: I was disappointed on the marble effect and that's mainly blame on myself because I didn't swirl it enough. I also left too much of the batter in the second pour for the chocolate layer, so it became more of a chocolate cheesecake instead, but I LOVE my mistakes and it actually looks good. The taste of this cheesecake is GOOD! The initial flavor is the cream cheese, then the semisweet chocolate, and lastly the very light taste of the toasted marshmallow. It was very creamy and crispy from the cookie layer, added another dimension to this dessert.

I really hope you would try this recipe out one day. And I hope you enjoyed reading this as much as I've enjoyed writing this.

If you have any question for me, leave a comment down below.
Subscribe and like if you enjoy these types of post.

If you want to follow me on Instagram, I'm at @andyliang89. I post the same pictures that are found here on my Instagram feed like a Sneak Peek to what's found in detail on this blog.

Thank you!




No comments:

Post a Comment